2010 Indoor Pan American Championship

Barquisimeto, Venezuela – August 9-15


Day 1 – Men – Pool A – Argentina vs. Guyana : 2-0

In the first match of the Men’s Indoor Pan American Championship, Argentina and Guyana played. Argentina scored first to make the score 1-0. Guyana’s defense played well and prevented Argentina from scoring off penalty corners. At the end of the first half, Argentina led the match 2-0. Argentina was awarded another penalty corner in the opening minutes of the second half, but again the Guyanan defense prevented another goal. Thus, Argentina received its first win of the tournament.

Day 1 – Men – Pool A – Peru vs. Venezuela: 5-1

In the opening minutes, Peru took a 2-0 lead over Venezuela off penalty corner goals. Peru maintained their possession and control of the match and scored again to make it 3-0 midway through the first half. However, Venezuela stayed strong and made the score 3-1 in the 12th minute. Peru began the second half like they did the first half; with a penalty corner. Venezuela remained strong and had more possession in the second half. And had a great chance to score again off a penalty stroke, but Peru’s keeper blocked it. Peru received several penalty corners throughout the second half that were blocked. Peru scored again to make it 4-1; and with two minutes remaining Peru scored another field goal to making the (final) score 5-1.

Day 1 – Men – Pool B – United States vs. Uruguay: 5-1

In the first match of Pool B, the United States took an early 1-0 lead over Uruguay. The United States continued to control the possession of the ball. The United States went ahead 3-0 off back-to-back goals midway through the first half. Uruguay was awarded a penalty stroke in the final minutes, but it was blocked by the United States’ keeper. The second half was more competitive between the two teams. While Uruguay appeared to play more aggressive, the United States kept the majority of possession. Uruguay’s persistence was awarded with a goal in the 29th minute. The United States quickly countered with a goal of their own in the 31st minute; to make the score 4-1 in favour of the United States. The United States went ahead 5-1 that remained the final score