2016 South American Championship & World League R1 (field hockey) – Chiclayo, Peru – 08 Oct 2016 - Uruguay vs. Chile

Maria Teresa Viana Ache’s has game winner against Chile; and Brazil has a goal in each half to beat host Peru on the last day of the Women’s South American Championship / Hockey World League Round 1. Uruguay and Chile will advance to the FIH Hockey World League Round 2 to be held in Vancouver, Canada, 1st-9th April 2017.

to the Peruvian Hockey Federation for hosting the South American Championships 2016, presented by Mrs. Laura Macchiotti, PAHF Events and Development Coordinator to Mr. Gianni Delucchi, President of Peruvian Hockey Federation

Goalkeeper of the tournament: Andrea GOMES BERNARDES of Brazil, presented by Mr. David Ruiz, Member of the Organizing Committee for FIH Hockey World League Round 1, Chiclayo

Top scorer: Francisca TALA of Chile, presented by Mr. Gianni Delucchi, President of Peruvian Hockey Federation

Player of the tournament: Camila CARAM of Chile, presented by Mr. Leandro Negre, President of International Hockey Federation

Junior player of the tournament: Teska TUJIT (GK) of Brazil, presented by Mr. Leandro Negre, President of International Hockey Federation

Final standings:





Please also check the Pan American Hockey Federation’s website for the Women’s competition for match and award photos and post-match interviews and more: http://www.panamhockey.org/en/competitions-54-2016-south-american-championships-women-

On the final day of the Women’s Competition, Uruguay and Chile met; and then Brazil and host Peru

Peru-Brazil (0-2)

In the final tournament match, Brazil played host Peru. The match started with play down in Brazil’s attacking end. Brazil earned the first penalty corner of the match in the 9th minute off a hard penalty corner shot by Karolina Sluis. Brazil continued to dominate possession, but Peru played with excellent positioning to keep play largely in the midfield and Brazil out of their attacking circle. In the 18th minute, Brazil had their next scoring opportunity, but Peru’s keeper Chiara Conetta came out to challenge the play and the cross by Helena Betolaza narrowly missed the goal. Peru then regained possession and Peru’s Malen Moccagatta ran fast into her team’s attacking circle. Peru’s Ximena Ardiles had a shot on goal go wide. Peru kept pressuring on attack. Peru’s Camila Mendez had a good run down the right side of the pitch.  Yet, both teams had trouble putting together more than a few passes throughout the first half.

The second half again started with Brazil quickly on attack. Brazil worked the ball around their circle as Anita Rodiguez found Jacqueline Peyloubet who put her team ahead by two goas in the 38th minute. Brazil then earned a penalty corner, but Peru’s Adelaida Oleachea rushed out fast on defense and came up with the ball. Brazil kept up their attacking pressure and earned another penalty corner a couple minutes later. Peru’s Keeper Conetta stopped two shots by Brazil’s Sluis to keep Brazil from quickly increasing their lead. Brazil kept looking to attack and Mayara Fedrizzi blasted a shot on goal. Again, Conetta came up with the big save to keep the score Brazil 2, Peru 0. Midway through the second half, Brazil earned another penalty corner. Brazil’s Eveline Beljon hit a hard penalty corner shot from the top of the circle that just barely missed the goal cage. Then Betolaza worked the ball inside, but lost the ball off the endline.

Play continued to be in Brazil’s attacking half and Brazil continued to apply attacking pressure near their attacking circle. Betolaza had another shot go just wide late in the second half. Peru kept playing strong defense. And Conetta kept coming out to challenge. Brazil then had another penalty corner, but Peru’s defense broke up the play. Brazil regained possession and Conetta kept coming out to challenge. With Peru able to keep strong positioning to prevent Brazil from scoring again in the match, Brazil came away with the two goal win over Peru.

Uruguay-Chile (1-0)

The match started with both teams battling for possession. The match was quiet in the sense that both teams held each other without scoring opportunities during the beginning of the match. In the 8th minute, Chile earned the first penalty corners of the match. The first penalty corner shot by Chile’s Denise Krimerman was saved by Uruguay’s keeper Rosanna Pasalle; and Chile failed to get a shot off the second penalty corner play. Chile maintained possession, however, near their attacking circle. Four minutes later, Chile earned another penalty corner, but Pasalle again came up big to save the shot by Carolina Garcia to keep the match scoreless. The Chilean men’s team continued to cheer loudly in the stands.

Uruguay’s first real attacking opportunity in the match came in the 15th minute when Maltilde Kliche had a break away. Uruguay rushed into their attacking circle, but Manuela Vilar’s shot was saved by Chile’s keeper Natalia Salvador. The Uruguay men’s team then started cheering loudly from the stands. For the rest of the half, the match continued with both teams intensely fighting for possession and denying each other more scorning opportunities. Evident of the match intensity, Chile’s Fernanda Flores received a green card in the 25th minute. Uruguay persisted on attack, but Chile played strong defense to prevent Uruguay a shot on goal during the green card to Flores and a green card to Carolina Garcia in the 29th minute. Thus, 30 minutes into the match the match remained scoreless. During the final minutes of the first half, the crowd returned to cheering loudly for both teams. Uruguay’s center back defender Agustina Nieto played extremely strong defense in the final minutes to prevent Chile from taking a shot on goal, as play shifted towards Chile’s attacking circle. As a result, the score at halftime remained Uruguay 0, Chile 0.

At the start of the second half, Uruguay rushed on to attack and Uruguay’s Maria Teresa Viana Ache gave her team the lead in the 36th minute. The crowd erupted.  Chile then maintained possession for the next 15 minutes keeping play in their attacking half. Uruguay, however, played with incredibly strong positioning to keep Chile from having a shot on goal during this time. The crowd kept cheering for both teams. In 50th minute Vilar received a green card. Chile looked to capitalize, and in the 51st minute, Chile’s Carolina Garcia had a shot go wide. Then Uruguay was able to get the ball down near their attacking circle for the first time since they scored at the beginning of the half. Vilar came back in the match and had another shot saved by Salvador in the 54th minute.

Chile earned the first penalty corner of the second half in the 57th minute that led immediately into another penalty corner. Uruguay played extremely strong defense to prevent both Denise Krimerman and Captain Camila Caram from getting shots off the penalty corners. Chile kept trying to pressure on attack and earned another penalty corner in the 62nd minute. Pasalle came up huge for Uruguay to block the penalty corner shot by Krimerman to keep the score Uruguay 1, Chile 0. In the 66th minute, Chile substituted keeper Salvador with Caram as a kicking back; and put in an extra player. Uruguay continued to play extremely strong defense and held Chile without another shot. Thus, Uruguay came away with the close win over Chile.